Monday, February 15, 2010

Two-Year Well Visit

Today, we brought Madelyn to her two-year well check. She weighed in at 23.2 pounds (fully clothed, sneakers and all) and measured 34.5 inches tall. Yes, tall. :) Dr. Magalnick said she was in the 8th percentile for weight and is now in the 70th percentile for height. Chris and I chuckled at the thought of him calling her a “tall, skinny one.” We’ll see how that works out in the end. We’ve heard the rule of taking her height at two years and doubling it to find out how tall she’ll be, but we’re not yet convinced she’ll be 5’9” when it’s all said and done. I think Dr. Magalnick once mentioned that for girls you double it earlier (18 months), but I forgot to get him to clarify that today. If that’s the case, we can expect her to be right around my height, 5’1”. I’m praying for the first scenario, but we’ll see. Somewhere right in the middle would actually be just fine. 

It seems as though Madelyn is growing leaps and bounds, not just in her height, but intellectually as well. During Madelyn’s appointment today, Dr. Magalnick asked a plethora of questions, one being, "How many words does she put together in sentences?" I told him the average is 3-4, but that 6-7 word sentences appear quite frequently, too. He said her vocabulary is that of a three-year-old, and that there is a direct correlation between verbal skills and intelligence, and, well of course, she’s quite bright. :) That’s not anything we haven’t already proclaimed (we are her parents after all), but it was nice to hear nonetheless.

Madelyn still has lots of favorites….baby dolls are probably the most played with in our house, but a very close second is her iPhone. She loves to play her “apps” and amazes us with how quickly she can put together puzzles on that tiny screen. She also loves music! You will typically find her singing and dancing her way through each day. It doesn’t matter if it’s kids tunes or Daddy’s metal; she will create some interesting moves either way.  She loves to sing, too. We bought her a microphone for her birthday and she is fascinated by the fact that she can sing along to the prerecorded tunes. 

Chatty Madi is another name for our dearest little one. She LOVES to talk. A lot. She will spend the entire drive to and from Grammy & Papa’s house (40 minutes each way) chit-chatting to me. I find it quite hilarious because sometimes I can’t quite figure out what she’s trying to say. However, Madelyn won’t let anyone get away with “I don’t understand.” She will continue to explain until you get it. This amazes me. She will add words, and lots of hand gestures to help put her words in context. And I have to say, it works nearly every time! It seems as if her favorite time to spark a conversation is right before bedtime. I still rock her (despite her long legs), and without fail, she recalls all the events from the day. I love this Mommy & Madi time! This special “story time” almost always ends with Madelyn asking me to sing “Sleep Emily” (Silent Night) to which I’m much obliged. :)

Her imagination is really starting to develop. She loves to pretend with some of her “Little People” and even her new McDonald’s drive-thru. Chloe is one of her best customers at the drive-thru, quietly sitting in front of the window, hoping perhaps some of the goodies might actually be edible. (I can only imagine Chloe’s disappointment every time Madelyn hands her yet another batch of pretend French fries.)


We are hoping for another fun-filled year, with lots of exciting new adventures. We’ll keep you posted as we try new things and visit new places!
 

1 comment:

sweetcakes said...

Yes, I do quite agree with the doctor that Madelyn is very bright! However, I'm surprised that she's in the 70th percentile for height! She will always be our little peanut! I miss her already!