So, we have officially entered the terrible “threes.” Two months short of turning three, Madelyn has turned into a different child. She is, of course, still our little superstar. However, with those superstar powers come the ability to go from sweet to naughty in a matter of seconds. She often catches us off guard with this conversion as one minute she’ll be happily singing a song to us, and the next she’ll have thrown herself on the floor wailing for no apparent reason. Chris and I have mastered the what-the-heck-are-you-doing look, and often feel like we have lost all control.
Last month Papa was sick and in the hospital, so Madelyn spent the month at home, with a different person in charge every few days. The absence of her normal routine truly did a number on her attitude. There were moments when we literally had to walk away from her, letting her scream at the top of her lungs. There were moments when I was certain CPS would be knocking on our door. Her screams were so loud and so piercing that surely that neighbors thought we were beating her to death.
This lasted about two straight weeks in December, right around the holidays. I was sure the Grinch had taken over her body. Fortunately, the week after the New Year began, she was headed back to Grammy & Papa’s house. I was so excited to send her away, I mean, get her back into her routine. Monday morning came with all the usual hiccups, and I was leery the transition back to her grandparents would even be enough. On this morning, she decided enough was enough and perhaps to better get my attention she should strip naked in protest. My response: complete and utter shock. Really, child? Naked? So, not really knowing what to do, I gathered all the bags for the day and headed to the car. Yes. I left her standing naked in the kitchen and proceeded to pack the car, thinking she’d snap out of it and follow me. Nope. Then I got in the car and started it. Then I paused, thinking she’d be popping out into the garage any moment. Not a sign of her. Then I began to back the car out of the garage, and right as this happened, here she came SCREAMING for me not to leave. After I got her dressed we talked about why she was so frustrated. She had no clue, but responded with, “I think my Papa will make me feel better.” Sigh.
But, this too, did pass. Her first week back to Grammy & Papa’s house proved to be the perfect cure for her naughtiness. She is back to her normal self, with a bit of sassiness from time to time, but nothing like we saw in December. Thank goodness!
1 comment:
Zona said...
Your post made me LAUGH OUT LOUD. I absolutely remember those days and will tell anyone that THREES are far worse than TWOS. Tantrums happen and I admire your patience with which you handle them – believe it or not, I used to be patient like that too! I am pretty sure I video taped DD2 in one of those rare moments and probably DD1 too. I think the books say it’s them exhibiting their independence or some BS like that…. Arguing/defiance is supposed to be a sign of intelligence. :) I LOVE that she got naked – I remember the girls doing that too now that I think about it. Maybe it’s the one thing she feels she can control. I can just hear her, too, saying that about her Papa. Precious.
Post a Comment