I feel like it's been a while since I've posted a "first" of something for Madelyn. Today was her first visit to the dentist.
After some deliberation, we decided to bring her to my dentist, Dr. Jeff Alexander, instead of a "pediatric" dentist. After talking with one of my besties, Zona, I realized it probably wasn't that big of a deal. Once she told me how much her daughters LOVED going to see Dr. Alexander, I was in. I mean, really. Who LOVES going to the dentist?
For some reason, when I made the appointment six months ago, I was under the impression that this appointment would pretty much be a "meet-n-greet." But, as it turned out, she had a full cleaning today, and I was quite impressed with how well she did.
After we got signed in, they took Madelyn back for x-rays all by her big girl self. She didn't even turn around to see what I was doing. So, here I am, thinking to myself, "Wait a minute. How am I supposed to document this event if I can't see or hear what's going on?" Then I got a little sad because it hit me that there were likely to be many more of these events as she gets older. All in all, I decided it was a blessing that she didn't care too much that I wasn't by her side. I'd rather have that than a screaming kid who can't do it alone. Then I was proud. :)
The dental hygenist said she did a perfect job helping to get the x-rays. YAY! Then they went to the check-up room, where apparently Madelyn asked if her Mommy would be coming. YAY! ;) The hygentist was kind enough to come and get me, and I sat and watched as Madelyn got her teeth cleaned... the whole works... the scaler, the electric toothbrush, the "squirt gun" and "thirsty straw" (my favorite). They even flossed her teeth! And she sat still, and even smiled when they told her how perfect she was.
Unfortunately, today was one of the rare days that I didn't have my phone, which means I didn't have a camera. Fortunately, the gals were kind enough to take a snapshot for me, and email it right away. I was a little embarrssed to ask, but they reassured me that some parents actually bring a video camera. I felt better knowing there are people just like me. :)

1 comment:
We LOVE Dr. Alexander and I am glad you had such a positive first dentist visit, Madi! I remember my girls' first visits - and I took TONS of pictures of them. Kelly, you are not crazy for wanting to do that. You've inspired me to take pictures of them when we go next month! Keep brushing those pearly whites, Madi, and every visit to the dentist will be a good one.
Post a Comment