This is the first trip where I've encountered a jellyfish. And it wasn't one I really want to remember. Chris, Madelyn, and I were enjoying some family time playing in the ocean, when I felt some "seaweed" get caught on the back of my leg. This normally freaks me out, but since I had a hold of Madelyn's hand, I didn't want to lose my grip, so instead, I just shook my leg to try to get it off of me. What I saw next was a HUGE jellyfish floating in front of me. After my eyeballs popped out of my head, I told Chris to get Madelyn out of the water "right now!"
We had been swinging her above the waves, so this was a fairly simple task. We got her out of the water pretty quickly, at which point I realized both of my legs were burning. Chris got a glimpse of the jellyfish, too, and knew where this was headed.
He stayed with Madelyn and Jacob down at the beach while I went upstairs to Google my next actions.
By the time I got upstairs the pain had gotten a little worse, but Jeff and Michelle quickly helped me figure out what to do. Windex ended up being the perfect solution (literally) to help ease the sting. After about an hour, the swelling and welts had gone down and the pain was minimal. Of course, Jeff also made me a strawberry lemonade/vodka drink, and that may have helped. ;)
It didn't take too long before Madelyn wanted to come upstairs, too. And bless her sweet little heart, the first words out of her mouth when she saw my legs were, "I'm sorry I took you out so far, Mommy." I wanted to cry. I reassured her that we were all having fun and that sometimes this happens. It broke my heart that she felt responsible, but then I felt good knowing how sympathetic she was to others. That's a great quality, one in which I am so proud of her for sharing with me. Sweet, sweet girl. I am so happy the jellyfish got me and not her.
Jeff also made Madelyn a non-alcoholic version of the strawberry lemonade drink. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment