Monday, November 19, 2012
Mommy's on the Naughty List
A couple summers ago, I found this sign in a sweet little Christmas shop in Boston. It made me laugh out loud so I bought it.
We hung it up last year, but I guess Madelyn didn't really ask what it said. (She's been trying to read everything these days, and I guess that's why she asked this year.) So, I read it to her and started laughing thinking she would follow my lead. But instead, she burst into tears. Real, drain-your-eyes kind of tears. It really caught me off guard, and I asked her what was wrong. She tried to put together some words to explain (although it was difficult to understand her). She finally told told me that if we hang the sign in our house Santa won't come. This made me laugh. Really loud. And when that made her cry more, I felt bad. But I was still laughing. I'm actually still laughing as I type this. Which is the reason I am certain I'm now on the naughty list. (And I've worked so hard this year!)
I told her the sign was a joke, and after several minutes discussing the matter she asked if Santa would know it's a joke, and I assured her he most certainly would because we're a funny family. We like to tell jokes and be silly. Santa likes that.
Except when you laugh at your kids. He doesn't like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment