Monday, December 6, 2010

Yo Gabba Gabba


On Saturday we had a fun family night out with two other families. Our ultimate goal was to go see Yo Gabba Gabba Live downtown, but we ended up getting more bang for our buck!

We all met up at Scout's house, where we walked to the Valley Metro Light Rail. All three girls were as cute as can be, each walking with their parents. Once we got to the boarding station, however, they were less attached at the hip, and ready to get their groove on. Unfortunately, we missed the light rail by literally a couple seconds. We ran and we ran, but the light rail isn't like your ordinary bus stop. There's no driver who's willing to wait as three families run faster and faster to try and catch this ride. Nope. We had to wait for about 20 minutes for the next train to come, which was fine because it gave us time to actually buy our tickets and let the girls get reacquainted.


Of course, it didn't take long for the girls to start talking and running around together. It was cute to see them all lined up waiting for the train. They were quite patient.

Once the next train came down the track the girls squealed with excitement! This was Madelyn's first time riding the light rail and she had no idea what this was all about, but since she watched the last train wiz by so fast, she couldn't wait!

Fortunately, the train wasn't real full, so the girls were able to sit next to each other, checking out all there was to see.


Our first stop was the Old Spaghetti Factory. This was another first for the Nielsens, and we were pleasantly surprised. Madelyn was much too excited to eat her dinner, but Chris and I had no troubles devouring our delicious meals. And did I mention wine? You can't have Italian food without some red wine, so the mommies and daddies enjoyed a bottle (or two). Yum.


Then it was back aboard the light rail to the Comerica Theater where DJ Lance and the rest of the crew would be waiting for us.


We finally made it to the theater, and got settled in our seats. Did you know they also sell wine at kids' shows? Well they do. And beer, too. I thought this was very interesting, and indulged myself in one more glass of wine. That's about the time I realized why red wine and kids' shows really don't mix.... Yep. Little hands are quick to knock wine right into the people in front of you. Oops. Nothing 20 bucks for dry cleaning can't fix. Sorry, strange man.

Eva and Lorisa getting excited for the show!
Madelyn could hardly wait!


The show was a big success! It was so fun to watch Madelyn sing and dance to the songs she knows so well. She had a great time...

...rockin' it DJ Lance style!

But, the show was a little longer than anticipated, and well, when you're two an hour and a half is a real long time. So by the time Intermission came, Madelyn was ready to go home. When she mentioned this to me, I looked at her very strangely and said, "Really? You want to go home? Right now?" And she said, "No. I want to go to Scout's house. Right now." Well apparently she didn't like it when I told her I wanted to stay and dance some more because after scratching me (new fun thing to do to Mommy when you're mad) and yelling at the top of her lungs (although who could really hear?) this is where she ended up:


Yep. Time Out. I have learned as a parent there is no place on Earth where you can't find a spot for time out. And Madelyn has learned that her parents mean business when she breaks the rules.

"Wait a minute. Why are they still dancing? I am in time out."

Fortunately, the melt down didn't last long because Chris and I continued to enjoy the show, and she eventually pulled herself together.

We had another adventurous ride on the light rail, where we headed back to Krista and Dave's house. We even walked an extra block so the girls could look at some Christmas lights.

 This picture makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it. Poor Eva. 
She's reaching out to Scout as if to say, " Get this girl off of me!" 
And Scout, on the other hand, is like, "Nope. You have to deal with her."


 We finally made it back to Krista and Dave's place for the after party. (Thanks guys for opening your house to us!) The girls had a great time playing together in Scout's room while the adults actually got to enjoy some adult conversations.
 

1 comment:

Zona said...

I LOVE time out pictures! Your route sounds like Scott did on Friday - our girls' first time on the light rail too...but we're not good parents who took pictures of it. :(