Last Sunday night, Madelyn slept without Bunny for the very first time in over four years. I am typing this a week later because I thought surely this transition would not have gone so smoothly. But, I am happy to report I was wrong. :)
Madelyn recently developed an irritation on her eyelid, and Chris and I came to the conclusion that it was because she rubs her eye with Bunny's ear while she's sleeping. She has done this since she was just a baby. We didn't want the irritation to turn into an infection so we told Madelyn that she needed to sleep without him until her eye got better. We also reminded her that she is a big girl now, and it's probably time to try to sleep without him anyway. There was a little hesitation at first, but it was nothing a few snuggles couldn't cure. As a matter of fact, she was out like a light within three minutes!
Chris and I thought surely it would be a long night. In the past if she woke up and couldn't find Bunny, she'd call for us so we could help her find him. But once again, we were happily surprised that not only did she sleep through the night without Bunny, she didn't even wake up once. YIPPEE!
This has continued for the last seven nights with just as much success. We have found a quiet place, hidden deep in the closet where all bunnies can get some much needed rest. We have many bunnies: House Bunny, Car Bunny, and Emergency Bunny. We even still have First Bunny, who for the last year or so has stayed comfortably tucked away in Madelyn's keepsake box. I think we are hanging on to all the other bunnies "just in case," but I think soon we will find new homes for all of them.
Today was the first time Madelyn asked about Bunny. She was feeling tired and just really wanted him. Chris and I told her we didn't have him anymore (liars), and she was sad for a moment or two, but then she said she had an idea. About 20 minutes later, she came into my bedroom and showed me this picture:
She said she drew this picture to help her remember Bunny when she's sad. Aww... it was almost enough for me to give her the real thing, but I held strong. ;) Hopefully we'll be officially Bunny-free by summer (as in no bunnies in the house).

1 comment:
so sweet!!
Post a Comment