Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Musselman!

We were so excited to find out that it was Mrs. Mussleman's birthday today! We all think she's pretty amazing, even though she's a Bear's fan (sigh). Madelyn has been planning what to make her for about a week now, and was so excited to finally get to give her the gift!

As always, Auntie Kim helped come up with the extra "personal" touches, first being this adorable "cozy" for a Starbucks cup. She made it from scraps of material, in the shape of the cardboard holder you get at Starbucks. She also added a cute button with an elastic band to hold it together when it's on the cup. So cute! I asked her to do Bears colors (sigh), and not being a football fan herself, she happily obliged. :)


I thought this would be a fun gift. But Madelyn had something to say about that. She insisted that we also make Mrs. Musselman a cupcake for her birthday, and with all this new talk of the Bears (sigh), it had to be a "Bears" cupcake. (Honestly, kid. You're killing me.) So, I did what good mommies do, and I called Auntie Kim back to see if she could make a cute fondant topper for the cupcake. Of course she could! She's AMAZING! So that was in the works, and I went on to call Grammy to see if she wanted to make the cupcake. And that was that. This mommy took charge, and put other people to work! ;)

Unfortunately, when Madelyn mentioned giving Mrs. Musselman a cupcake for her birthday, she also meant she wanted to make it for her. Oops. Plan B: Figure out how to make cupcakes that taste good.

As I talked more with Auntie Kim, we decided to do a Skype baking session! So now we've put baking alongside technology, and all of a sudden I think I'm a little more interested. ;)

Madelyn and Auntie Kim discussing "The Plan."
As it turned out, we had an amazing time baking these cupcakes! It was so neat to Skype with Auntie Kim as we were decorating...

So, what does a Packer fan do when she has to give a Bears cupcake to someone? She finds a way to add a little Packer fun to the plan, that's what!

Those of you who know us, know that even having the Chicago Bears fondant decoration in our house was truly traumatic. I kept it covered at all times. But, in an effort to better deal with this stress, I decided it would be fun to fill the cupcake with green and gold frosting so when Mrs. Musselman took a bite it would ooze Packer colors. (insert evil laugh here).


I have to say, the cupcake turned out really cute (and it tasted good, too)!

Madelyn also made a card for her (more Bears, bleh):


I was impressed that she kept it all a secret. I was worried that she'd give it away, having known two days prior to her actual birthday. YAY, Madelyn!

Mrs. Musselman sent me this message via email:

Thank you so much for the birthday gift.  It was totally unnecessary but I loved it!  The best of course was the cupcake!  Madelyn was dying for me to take a bite and when I did I was cracking up!  You are something else!!  GO BEARS!!!!

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Musselman! We can't wait to have more fun throughout the season... oh, I mean school year! ;)
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Madelyn:

My birthday is May 18 and I’m not a fan of really any FB team….so you can just make me plain cupcakes. Easy – chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting or white cupcakes with white frosting….I’m good with either one. :) But my favorite color is green. You don’t even have to wait until my birthday. I like cookies too. Just sayin’…

Also: LOVE LOVE LOVE the cup coozie. If Auntie Kim ever has an extra, I’d love one. Or the pattern. I wonder if I could figure it out. I do own a sewing machine and I can sew a straight stitch. That’s all. And even they’re not always straight. :)

I have a kindergarten class coming in soon and every time I see a kindergarten class I wonder what you’re like in your music class. What is your music teacher’s name? What songs are you learning to sing and what do you do in your music class? Does Mrs. Musselman sing a lot in your classroom?

I hope you’re loving kindergarten. Who doesn’t love kindergarten?! Have a great day - Zona