Madelyn has been counting down sleeps for the past two weeks anticipating her first day of first grade. She has been telling us how excited-but-mostly-nervous she is. We've had some great conversations about how she's feeling, and it has been so sweet to hear her talk about wanting to be a good student, and wanting to make new friends, and wanting to like her teacher. All things I remember being worried about when I was young, too.
Last night the electricity went out around 9 pm, and Madelyn woke up about 9:30 pm, and wandered into our room wondering why her bathroom light wouldn't come on. We let her snuggle with us in our bed (a HUGE treat for her) until the electricity came back on, which wasn't until about 11 pm.
Needless to say, none of us really got a great night's sleep, but that didn't discourage Madelyn from hopping out of bed this morning, raring to go! We did have to coordinate a wardrobe change at the last minute (although that was no big surprise to me), but other than that, things got rolling quite smoothly.
Dear Madelyn,
Today you started first grade. I'm not sure why, but I was feeling especially sad about it (although Daddy's the one who got teary-eyed this time). I think I was mostly feeling down because I feel like it's such a big step. Bigger than kindergarten. First grade seems so official. It's the silly things that remind me that you're growing up way too fast. You had your own desk, and your own books. Oh my, did you have lots of books! I didn't want to burst your happy bubble because you were so excited about how many books were in your desk (which in my mind only equates to homework)! We pulled each of them out. Science. Social Studies. Language Arts. And a dictionary! We had to talk about what exactly a dictionary was and how you might be using it, but your eyes were beaming with excitement about all those words on each page. I loved watching you put your things away in a very neat and tidy order, all on the top shelf of your desk.
You quickly found the place where all your things belonged. Everything has a place in your new room. Lunch boxes. Backpacks. Pencils. You take after me when it comes to orderly things, and I do love that. I wonder if that will last. You are such a good student. Such a great kid. God has blessed us more than we could ever have imagined, but we are so grateful that you are ours. You love to learn. You love to interact with your friends and your teachers. You love life!
You were so very excited to start your day with Mrs. Yates! Your cousins told you amazing things about her, and you are ready to begin this journey! "Let's do this!" was your proclamation this morning. :)
![]() |
| Madelyn and Mrs. Yates |
Oh, how I wish I could savor these moments forever. I know you're in great hands this year, and I know you will grow exponentially in all sorts of ways... physically, mentally, socially, spiritually. You are a little being that I cherish more than anything, and I love seeing the world through your eyes. You teach me every day that life is short, and it's all the small moments that make life great! I love you, Bug. I hope you continue to smile through all your school days and that you are enveloped in the excitement of learning with each new lesson! You are my rock star, kid!
Love,
Mom
| Madelyn INSISTED on having her picture taken with Luke! |



1 comment:
So cute! I love the first day love letter from Mom.
Post a Comment