We brought Madelyn to the circus for the very first time last week. We had recently started a reward chart with her to work on some good behavior (namely no whining and picking up her toys). She gets stars for good behavior and habits, and once she reaches her goal (set by Mommy and Daddy), she gets a reward (chosen by Madelyn). We let her choose from a number of rewards, some of which included a treat, a movie, a new book, and a surprise.
Her first choice was a surprise. This worked out well because we had no idea what we’d be getting for the surprise, and we had no idea how long it would take for her to reach the goal of 15 stars (she can earn up to 5 a day). We started this new “project” on Sunday, and on Monday I found out the circus was in town! Chris and I decided this would make for a great surprise for her first reward. Although it was more expensive than we had originally anticipated for these rewards, we figured it would work well, and perhaps get her excited to continue good habits. By Wednesday we were a bit concerned that she may not reach her goal of 15 stars due to her disinterest in picking up her toys and her love of whining. Fortunately, we really worked hard to help encourage good choices, and thank goodness by Thursday evening she had reached her goal!
When we showed her the tickets and explained we’d be going to the circus, she was a little excited, but didn’t fully understand. After all, she had never been to the circus, so she didn’t really know why we were so excited. So, thanks to YouTube, we pulled up some videos of Barnum and Bailey’s circus acts, and then she got excited. She wanted to watch the elephants over and over again. We told her she was going to get to see them at the circus, and her eyes grew bigger by the minute.
We got to the circus a little early, and learned there was a free preshow on the floor. This was a fun, interactive time for kids and their parents to see some of the performers up close and personal. There was a wardrobe area where you could try on some of the clown outfits, there were live animals strutting their stuff, and there were, of course, lots of clowns. Madelyn wasn’t really interested in participating in any of it, but she did enjoy being a bystander.
Chris and I can’t remember the last time we were at the circus, and we enjoyed many of the different acts. We enjoyed watching Madelyn get excited over some of the animals, too.
But her biggest excitement came when her Daddy let her pick a circus gadget!
There was a 20 minute intermission, and unfortunately, I think that was just enough time for Madelyn to get sleepy. By the time the second half started, she was out like a light. She had had enough, and fell asleep on her dad’s arm.
Who does that? I mean, it’s not like it was The Quietest Place on Earth. It was loud. Really loud. But the funniest part of it was when I looked back over at Madelyn, and then at Chris to give him a little smile and he too, was nodding off. I thought, “Hello, family. Wake up! We’re at the circus!” I enjoyed the circus very much, and am pretty sure Chris and Madelyn enjoyed whatever it is they actually got to see. ;) Unfortunately, Madelyn missed the elephants - the one specific thing she was most excited to see. :(
After I woke up the family, we headed to Oregano’s for lunch. Our friends, Dave and Krista, and their daughter, Scout, were also at the circus, and we decide to grab a bite to eat together afterwards. We had never been to Oregano’s, and boy am I glad Krista suggested it! It was absolutely delicious! As we waited for our food, Madelyn and Scout were given some piazza dough to play with. FUN! I was impressed at how well this kept them entertained. Forget the coloring books and crayons. Madelyn enjoyed adding spices to her “pizza” and offered it to everyone.
Cheers to yet anoher great Nielsen outing!
1 comment:
I love the circus (except the clowns...)!
Post a Comment