We are always excited to spend 4th of July at the beach, and this year was no exception. However, I decided to add a new adventure to the schedule. For the last several months, I have been doing the C25K training (Couch to 5K). About six weeks ago, however, I hurt my ankle, and had to stop training. I was extremely disappointed because I had hoped to find a 5K in California during our vacation. Right before our trip, my ankle was feeling better, so I decided to pack my tennis shoes "just in case" the urge hit me to go for a run. And sure enough, on Sunday, I decide to try to run again just to see how it went. It went well, much to my good friend, Zona's dismay. ;) We had agreed that if my run went well, we'd meet up in Huntington Beach for the Surf City 5K on the 4th of July.
Zona and her family were vacationing in Newport Beach, about an hour from where we were staying, so Chris kindly agreed to get up super early and make the drive for the race.
 |
| Pre-Race Photo |
 |
| I was eating Zona's dust the entire race, so she snapped this one as we passed each other along the way. |
I was extremely proud of myself for not only completing the race, but for running the whole thing. My goal was to finish in 45 minutes (slow, I know, but I'm really not designed to be a runner). My overall time ended up being 40:33, so I was elated! I had to talk myself through it even as I was nearing the finish line, but I can't tell you how exciting it was to make it! Especially since it had been six week since I last exercised! Woo hoo!
After we brought Zona back to Newport Beach, we headed back to our crew in Carlsbad. Kristin and MJ graciously agreed to let Madelyn hang out with them while we were gone.
They had waffles at
Boxd, and walked around the village and in some of the shops.
Once we got back, everyone was ready for lunch, so we headed back to SeƱor Grubby's where I also enjoy a celebratory drink!
After lunch, we walked back to the condo, got our suits on, and headed to the beach for a little bit.
 |
| dancing on the beach |
And, then it was time to get ready for fireworks! We decided everyone should pile into "Red Car" and drive down to Del Mar to watch the county fair fireworks from the beach. We stopped at Boards and Brew to pick up some sandwiches so we could also have a picnic dinner while we waited for the big show.
The girls also got to have some sparklers before the "real" fireworks show started. And there was a sweet man who was watching the girls play who told them he didn't really need to see the fireworks show now because the girls put on such a great show themselves! Too cute!
 |
| Madelyn ended her "Fireworks Dance" with the splits (sort of). |
Ivy kept referring to Chris as "Crazy Hat Man" so I thought this picture was especially cute:
No comments:
Post a Comment