Sunday, November 10, 2013

First Piano Recital

Today was Madelyn's first piano recital! She started taking lessons just after she turned five, and has really been enjoying it!

She was extremely nervous and had been talking all week about not being sure she could do a good job. We continued to encourage her and tried to remind her that it's not about being perfect. Instead, it's about getting up there and trying your very best and having fun.

We had been reminding her that if she made a mistake she needed just keep playing and not start over. Being the little perfectionist she is, this was a difficult concept for her. All week long she would practice and occasionally make a mistake, at which point she'd start the song over. I really wasn't sure how that was going to work at the recital, hoping that we wouldn't be listening to her replay the same songs until she got them perfect.

Getting a new outfit for her recital was certainly a bonus, one that sparked a bigger interest in performing in front of a crowd. I mean, after all, if she could wear her fancy new outfit it really wouldn't matter if she messed up, right? Right.


The recital was held at Burton Barr Public Library in Phoenix, and WOW! What a library! It was huge!


Madelyn was super excited that Grammy could come with to watch her play! She said it was important to have people who love you in the audience. I agree. ;)


Grammy helped with some pre-recital adjustments on Madelyn's dress, and of course had a little extra time for another photo op.


Madelyn did a fantastic job playing her three songs. She made a few mistakes, but I have to say I was so incredibly proud of her for keeping things going, and not getting frustrated. She even commented afterwards that she "messed up" but kept going! YAY!

Here's a clip of her performance:


When she was finished, and sitting back in her seat, she turned around to us and smiled a BIG smile! I am sure she was a little bit of relieved, and also a little excited!

Here's a group shot of Miss Whitney and her students, as well as one with just Miss Whitney and Madelyn:

WE LOVE MISS WHITNEY!

After the recital, Miss Whitney invited everyone to NYPD Pizza for dinner! It was fun celebrating Madelyn's very first recital!



2 comments:

Betsy Davies said...

I love this! She is such a little doll!

Zona said...

We'll done,Madelyn! I love that library too"