Grammy and Papa (as well as the other relatives) left
mid-week, so we planned to take a weekend road trip to St. Louis, somewhere
Madelyn and I have never been! YIPPEE! Auntie Kim, Ethan, Madelyn, and I packed
our duffle bags and jumped in the car! We had plenty of snacks and things to do
so the four-hour drive didn’t seem too bad. Although Kim was doing all the
driving so she might disagree. ;)
Auntie Kim’s friend Jennifer (who she met when she was in
school learning how to be a fabulous flight attendant) welcomed us into her
beautiful home, so we had a “base” where we could crash for a few nights after
doing some sight-seeing.
We started off with The Arch. That seemed like the most
obvious choice. I mean, you can’t go to St. Louis and not visit The Arch. It’s just not allowed. This was a remarkable
experience, one that I know we will remember always.
We parked at the City Museum (so we could visit later) and walked to the courthouse to buy our tickets.
Once we got our tickets, we headed to the Arch!
The ride to the top of the arch was very interesting. We rode in a pod-type car which rocked back and forth all the way to the top.
Once at the top, we had some incredible views!
Then we headed back down to the bottom...
View from the Ferris Wheel
Anyone remember this guy?
It took Madelyn a while to get into her groove. She was
feeling kind of uncertain about all the climbing, but as soon as we convinced
her to try a few things, she was in (well, all expect the caves – she didn’t
want anything to do with those)!
Madelyn insisted that I go with her on a lot of her
explorations up and down the ropes and wire. Up and down. And up some more.
There were a few times that I had to just sit and take a break. This was the
downfall of City Museum. It was a reminder of how old I am, or at least how old
my muscles and joints feel. Sheesh!
Ethan even convinced me to go down one of the slides that
was an old chute from the shoe factory. I wasn’t really sure because it dropped
straight down. He assured me it was not scary. And he was right. The slide was
fun. CRAWLING through a tunnel on my hands and knees to get out into the open
wasn’t exactly my cup of tea, but I managed. SLOWLY (very slowly), but surely.
Thankfully there are no pictures to post of this because they would definitely
not be pretty. I shudder to even think about it.
One of my favorite things to watch and do were these special
“chairs” that you could sit in and use the weight of your body to go in
circles. Pure joy, I say. Watch a cute video of Madelyn as she gets the hang of
it:
No comments:
Post a Comment