Tuesday, February 26, 2013

As hard as you try...

...sometimes it's just not enough.

Two weeks ago, Madelyn had a dentist appointment. She just turned five, and in her best independent voice she said to me, "Mom, I'm five now. I can go back by myself." I was impressed at how mature she was and how she was so excited to do this in her own.

This was her fifth visit to the dentist and it always goes well. About a year ago, however, there was a spot they were "watching." During her last visit the dentist broke the news that he indeed needed to fill a cavity. My heart sunk. Madelyn has better oral hygiene than most adults I know. She brushes AND flosses every night and brushes every morning. It's hard to explain to a five-year-old why she got a cavity when she really has done all the right things. "Sometimes it still happens" was the best we could offer her, and since she had no idea what a "filling" entailed it was a bigger deal to us than her.

7:53 am
Madelyn and I just got to the dentist office for her filling appointment. The receptionist told Madelyn that she looked so happy and excited. And she does. Me on the other hand? A bundle of nerves. She is my brave little girl who is clueless right now as she's dancing in the waiting room to Maroon Five.

8:02 am
They just called her back and she eagerly went because again, she's "five." I'm sitting here in the waiting room, trying hard to listen for any signs of a meltdown.

8:11 am
I'm laughing to myself because I can hear her telling everyone about her new special toothbrush that "tickles" her teeth. (Chris just bought her a Sonicare Kids toothbrush.) They are all giggling. I think the "laughing gas" is kicking in for her. The receptionist just asked if I also would like some, and it was hard to say no. She can obviously see that I'm nervous.

8:26 am
Waiting. Waiting stinks. It hasn't really been that long, but it seems like forever. I am anxious to see her. Wait. I think I just heard her giggle. That made me smile. :)

8:36 am
Dr. Alexander just came out and talked to me. He said she did great! No tears, and lots of talking. ;) He told me that the cavity wasn't very deep so he didn't even have to numb her mouth; the nitrous was enough. YAY! I think I was most worried about her having to get a shot in her mouth. Whew.

9:01 am
Madelyn's at home with Daddy. When I scheduled the appointment, they told me to plan on having her at home until lunchtime so the numbness would wear off before she tried to chew anything. I used that as something to look forward to after the appointment. Since she was as feeling fine, however, I asked if she wanted to go ahead and go to school. She reminded me that she and her Dad already made tons of plans for the day and she wasn't about to miss them! So home she stayed.

She's doing great and is no worse for the wear. I think she will still look forward to her dentist visits, and that's good. I was afraid she would not want to go back. She is so resilient and such a good sport. Great job, Madelyn!


1 comment:

Zona said...

Great job, Mom! I am glad it was still a 'positive' trip to the dentist - I LOVE Dr. Alexander and his staff for that reason. Good for you for keeping it a postive experience for Madelyn - even if it was heart wrenching for you. :) I am sure the next time you pull into the dentist's parking lot Madi will exclaim like my girls do, "I LOVE going to the dentist!"