So, today was the first day Madelyn did not get anything in her advent calendar. We were in a hurry to get off to school, so we didn't think about checking the calendar. That actually ended up being a blessing because I didn't realize I'd be picking up a monster at the end of the day.
When I picked Madelyn up from school, the first thing she asked was to show her new "barbie" to one of her teachers. I didn't have it with me so I told her we'd have to show her tomorrow. She held it together while we were still in the room, but as soon as the door closed, the tears started flowing.
I asked her why she was so sad, and she really just wanted to show her doll to her teacher. Being the mean Mommy that I am, I told her we had to wait until tomorrow because we'd couldn't walk all the way back across campus.
Once I got her buckled into her seat, she started screaming. While screaming, she was turned around in her carseat, watching us pull away from the school. She started yelling, "I want my teachers! I need Miss Ashlynn! TEACHERS!" Her arms were outstretched in case anyone was watching so they could rescue her.
I kept driving. I didn't say a word.
The next thing I knew, there was a shoe coming toward my head. And then another. And then a headband. And then a barbie. A left-over breakfast bar. A blanket.... I had no idea there were so many items in the backseat. And now they were all in the front seat.
I stayed quiet, trying to keep my composure. When she realized I was ignoring her, and that shoes in my face weren't doing the trick, she used the ultimate defense. Her words. She began shouting such things as "I hate you!" "I think you're stupid!" "You are in trouble!" (that one made me laugh because I was thinking, boy if she only knew how much trouble she was in when we got home). Although it bothered me that she was saying these things, I forced myself to be quiet.
As we turned the corner on our street, she was still noticably upset, and as a last straw, she told me she was going to hit me when we get home. And indeed, as soon as I parked the car, she unbuckled her seatbelt and took a good swing at my shoulder.
I got out, opened her door (still not saying anything), scooped her out of the car, and walked into the house and put her in her room, on her bed. I left her in there to cry for a while, and after she settled down went in and talked to her.
After talking about her awful behavior, I asked her if she thought she was on the naughty or nice list, and she looked at me, with tears welling up again, and said, "I'm on the naughty list now. I need to say sorry to Santa." HA! That's really all I needed. But then I quickly said to her, "You need to say sorry to more than just Santa." She said, "I'm sorry, Mommy. I am just feeling tired, and I that's why I wasn't very nice to you." I told her I would always love her, even when she's being naughty. She replied, "And I will always love you. Even when you're an angry mommy." Oh, that kid. I do love her so.

No comments:
Post a Comment